You can start your search on the Main Search Page, which has more search options.
How do I find a book?
1. Search Catalog (or HSL on the Main Search Page, from the dropdown menu.) If unsuccessful, search Everything (see option 3). OR
2. Search by Citation - add either ISBN or an author's name and the title/keyword(s). OR
3. Search Everything and use the filters on the left to limit your results to HSL. Do not forget to check under Shared storage - thousands of e-books, available for all WRLC* members are placed there.
How do I find a journal?
1, Search Journals. Both electronic and print journals are displayed together.
2. Search by Citation / Journals
2. Search Everything and use the filters to limit your results to the Louis Stokes HSL or the Founders and the journals.
New! Can I find a specific article?
Yes, from many (but not all) journals. Use Search by Citation to enter the citation information. Not all information is required, but a sufficient part of it. This is an example of what information was added for a successful search:
If can get to the article if you search by PMID.
If you get "No results found" find the journal and then browse the volumes and issues.
Where do I start to research a topic ?
Search Everything, then apply the filters on the left.
Please Note: no single search is comprehensive. It is highly recommended that you also search databases like PubMed, Academic Search Complete, CINAHL, Scopus, etc, separately, to get more results.
What is WRLC?
The Washington Research Library Consortium is a collaborative partnership between all DC area academic libraries providing access to shared information resources, services and expertise. LSHSL is a member of WRLC.
Everything allows you to search:
Titles of the books, journals, articles, book chapters, and the titles of all other kinds of materials will be retrieved.
Search by Citation allows you to find fast a journal article, a journal, a book.
How to check out a book:
First make sure you are logged in with your Howard University credentials
1. Find book by using Search By Citation Feature
2. Click on book you would like
3. Click where it says Request: CLS Request
4. Complete the form that comes up